Thursday, January 14, 2010

Chiang Mai

I had planned on taking a two-day boat from Laos into Northern Thailand. Due to visa issues, I ended up having to fly into Thailand in order to get a one-month visa. I was lucky to learn about this from fellow travelers. So once again, I flew on an airline with a dubious public record, but hey I flew with them twice, and I'm still here. Although it's never comforting to read a brochure that says "You're save with us!"

Chiang Mai is a base for most trekking expeditions. The short treks usually include an elephant ride and a visit to a hill tribe. I've never been keen to look at others like exhibits in a zoo, nor do I care to encourage abuse that the Thai elephants experience. So I knew that trekking would not be high on my list of things to do, and I was scolded by fellow travelers. Heaven forbid, I do what I want on my vacation. However, there are reputable trekking companies and great wildlife conservations you can visit.

After the calm and quiet of Laos, Chiang Mai was something of a disappointment. I no longer cared to be in the city or go shopping at the city's famous night market. The first day, I toured the Chiang Mai's landmarks. The following day, I had contact a women to do a batik painting class. The woman picked me up at the guesthouse and drove me to her house outside the city. I had a great time sitting in her house painting while it poured rain outside. Thank god I hadn't gone trekking. Bored of the city and rain, I jumped on a bus to the mountain city of Pai.






















No comments: