Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thailand's Islands--Where I Learned to Love Bungalows

Local Dive Master: So you are here during our worst two weeks of weather for the year...
Me: Oh well you know, sh*t happens.

Traveling overnight to the islands is the cheapest way to go, but certainly not the most glamourous. The one hour flight seemed to take all day with transfers to the ports. So I headed to the travel agent in the train station, while I waited for the train that would never come. I was hoping to get a spot on the overnight train. That would prove impossible. I was traveling the weekend before the Full Moon Party and all of the Thais had a three-day weekend. What cha gonna do? So overnight bus was my last choice. But at least you get an all inclusive ticket, bus and boat to the island. I got to the train station at 9pm. And I arrived on the island of Ko Tao at 7am.

I chose Ko Tao after a friend had told me it was the cheapest place in the world to get diving certification. So I figured I would try it, and if I had time head of to other islands. I ended up spending three days learning how to dive. As mentioned above, it wasn't the best time to be in the islands. During the rainy seasons, different sides of the gulf experience a lot of storms. And usually you can pick where to go because when one side is stormy, the other is fine. I was there during the two weeks, when both sides of the islands have bad weather. But I figured a rainy day on Ko Tao, had to better than sunny days back home.

With a few days to go, I was bored of Ko Tao, but too tired to make my way to the other islands I wanted to see. The thought of packing my bag again made me want to cry. So I hopped the morning ferry to the neighboring island Ko Pha Ngan. I hopped on a motorcycle taxi and headed toward the less populated side of the island. I had only one stipulation--I wanted a bungalow, and it had to come with a hammock. At the first hotel, I found my 10 dollar a night bungalow with a hammock. I spent the next two days, scootering around the island, sleeping on the beach, or sleeping in that hammock. There are worse ways to spend a few days.






The cat decided that it also lived in my bungalow.


















The second one from the beach, yep that's mine.







Tan lines, a pedicure, and sand between my toes. Like I said, there are worse ways to spend a few days.

No comments: